Early summer in the Lake Champlain Region brings entertainment and events for all. Historic events, festivals and numerous arts events fill the calendar.
Fort Ticonderoga leads the charge with several historic events throughout the season. The Fort is a bustling place during the warmer months with reenactments and living history demonstrations, as well as special Fort tours. June 21st and 22nd brings a Living History weekend. Discover the hazards and hopes of American soldiers at Ticonderoga in the summer of 1776 during this exciting living history weekend. On July 2 join their guides to explore the “haunting” past of the Fort as you tour Fort Ticonderoga’s past and the many unexplained events experienced by staff and visitors over the past 100 years. Reservations are required for the Garrison Ghost Tour. Also don't miss the Reenactment events at the Fort whenever you can get to them. The battle portions are particularly spectacular!
Other events you won’t want to miss include:
- Ticonderoga Guns by Night - July 3 and every Thursday through August
- Independence Day Celebration - July 4 - 6
- Defiance & Independence Re-enactment of General Burgoyne’s capture of Fort Ticonderoga in 1777 - July 19-20
- There are many more events at The Fort over the course of the summer. Check out the full schedule in our events calendar.
If you’re into fishing or wanting to learn to fish, take advantage of New York State’s FREE Fishing Weekend. The weekend of June 28 and 29 there will be no license required for fishing any New York State waters. Take the kids out and enjoy!
4th of July
During Independence Day weekend there are festivities all over the region in many of our picturesque villages. Here’s a list of the weekend celebrations for you to choose from:
- July 2 - 4 - Best 4th in The North - Ticonderoga
- July 3 - Soundwaves Summer Concert Series featuring Taylor Haskins & Fuzzy Logic with Meadowmount School of Music String Orchestra
- July 4 - Essex Community Concert Series with Carol Williams, Organist
- July 4 - Fort Ticonderoga’s Independence Day Celebration
- July 5: - Independence Day Fireworks Celebration - Westport
In collaboration with Westport’s 7th Annual Spirit of Place Art Show, a Plein Air Painting event will feature the artists painting “plein air” (outdoors) in Ballard Park from 9 am to noon on July 6th. Come out and watch their creations come alive! The three-part program also features an art show at The Westport Heritage House. See the event listing for complete details.
For our young artists there’s a Children’s Artist Touch Workshop every Wednesday and Friday during the months of July and August at Ticonderoga’s Heritage Museum.
Take the Train from NYC for a musical Frank Sinatra tribute at Depot Theatre
Many more events and cultural happenings dot the calendar, not the least of which is the Depot Theatre productions in Westport. One of the productions you won’t want to miss coming up on the calendar is “My Way”, a Musical Tribute to Frank Sinatra, running July 11 - 27th. The show features 56 selections of Sinatra’s hits performed in part of entirely by the cast of just four. There are several more productions to catch at Depot Theatre as well over the course of the summer. Catch the Amtrak from New York city or Montreal to the Depot Theatre.