Retrace historic footsteps with a foliage tour that looks out over Lake Champlain from the top of Mount Defiance. Lake Champlain, with mountains on both sides, has wonderful winding roads that highlight the scenery.
There are striking shoreline vantage points. And there are lots of services and dining options along the way.
In the town of Westport, you will pick up Route 22 south. Following along the shore of Lake Champlain, your trip will take you through Port Henry, Crown Point, and into Ticonderoga. A fall visit to the landmark Fort Ticonderoga should also be on your itinerary. A higher vantage point is Mount Defiance over Fort Ticonderoga.
- Approximate travel time: 3 hours
- Length: 93 miles
Highlights and side trips
- The Champlain Monument at Crown Point Bridge
- Fort Ticonderoga (Ticonderoga)
- Forts at Crown Point (Crown Point)
- Iron Center (Port Henry)
- Hancock House (Ticonderoga)
- Mount Defiance over Fort Ticonderoga