Situated on the scenic western shore of Lake Champlain, the hamlet of Essex contains a rich variety of well-preserved buildings within a thriving community center. During the years following the Revolutionary War, the settlement prospered as an active center for shipping, industry, and commerce. It was a principal port on Lake Champlain and a destination for travelers, with ferry service first established in the late 1700s.
This prosperity led to the construction of numerous community buildings, and an impressive array of residences overlooking the lake. Because much of this growth was in the first half of the 19th century, there is a particularly exceptional collection of Greek Revival architecture found there.
This walking tour will be led by former AARCH Board Member and Essex resident David Hislop.
We’ll see many of the 150 National Register-listed historic buildings in the hamlet, including Wright’s Inn (1798), the Essex Free Library (1818), Hickory Hill (1822), Rosilyn (ca. 1830), the Old Brick Schoolhouse (1830), and Greystone (1853). We’ll also have the opportunity to see the interiors of several public and private buildings.
The tour begins at 10:00 a.m. and ends around 3:00 p.m.